Friday, January 28, 2011

A few things that might help

I have been doing my family tree since a High School project back in 1976. Yes that is a long time. With the internet things have gone faster but when will I end.. Never .. As records go on line more information come up.. It took me till 2004 to find out where my father father was born that was only after a relative died.

Some families mine included did not want information to get out to other people me included.. but I kept going.I keep a notebook of information I need  as birth death etc. When I go to a family function I ask the question. Some will not talk to you others will talk your ear off.. Try to remember stories told to you by a grandparent or Aunt they come in handy .Keep a note on the stories or record them for later to included in family tree book .

The following is a great place to find passenger information
 http://www.castlegarden.org/,http://www.ellisisland.org,
for another free site for information
https://www.familysearch.org/

A lot of family information is out there.. but take it all with a grain of salt as the saying goes. Research the information that is posted on line. They should have source where they get the information  : death information etc.  If there is no source than I would not trust it.

With any information that you get say birth record they might have the parents names on it where they were born  .Some of the older ones before 1930 might say only the country they were born in..So you ask yourself well where can I find this information. Try the Social Security index.. On SSI records you might get lucky and find the town. Also the draft cards from 1940's is also a good place to find information.
all for now happy Hunting

No comments:

Post a Comment